Medications for people.
Drugs that are beneficial to people can have the opposite effect on your whippet and it doesn’t always take a large dose to do major damage. Lock your medicines away, and remember dogs snuffle around in your handbag too, so keep all drugs safely away from those nosey whippets.
Flea and tick products.
Many animals are unintentionally poisoned by these products every year. Problems can occur if dogs accidentally ingest these products or if small dogs receive excessive amounts.
Animals have different physiology to humans. Some foods and drinks that are perfectly safe for people can be dangerous, and sometimes fatal, for dogs.
~Chocolate. contains substances called methylxanthines that can cause vomiting in small doses, and death if ingested in larger quantities. Dark chocolate contains more. Coffee and caffeine are similar.
~Alcohol. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in animals are similar to those in people, and may include vomiting, breathing problems, coma and, in severe cases, death.
~Avocado. You might think of them as healthy, but avocados have a substance called persin that can act as a dog poison, causing vomiting and diarrhea.
~Macadamia nuts. Dogs may suffer from a series of symptoms, including weakness, overheating, and vomiting, after consumption of macadamia nuts.
~Grapes and raisins.
~Xylitol. This sweetener is found in many products, including sugar-free gum and sweets. It causes a rapid drop in blood sugar, resulting in weakness and seizures. Liver failure also has been reported in some dogs.
Rat and mouse poison.
Rodenticides, if ingested by dogs, can cause severe problems.
Just as we can be sickened or killed by medications intended to help us, cases of pet poisoning by veterinary drugs are not uncommon. Some of the more commonly reported problem medications include painkillers and de-wormers.
Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include:Azaleas and rhododendrons. These contain toxins that may cause vomiting, diarrhea, coma, and potentially even death. Tulips and daffodils. The bulbs of these plants may cause serious stomach problems, convulsions, and damage to the heart.
chemicals contained in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools can be highly toxic
Just as cleaners like bleach can poison people, they are also a leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems.
Heavy metals. Lead, which may be in paint, linoleum, and batteries
Products for your lawn, pesticides, fertilizers and other garden products may be extremely poisonous to pets that ingest them. Keep your garden shed whippet proof.